Thursday, May 21, 2009

Memorial Day

I received some obligatory forwarded email this morning about the real meaning of Memorial Day and how we should remember what the fallen soldiers of the past had done for us today. It kind of got me to thinking about how far we have strayed from the real meaning of several holidays. Take this one for example. I kind of thought about going to the lake and hanging out with friends and maybe having a cookout on the newly finished deck. When they originally instated Memorial Day, was this what our forefathers had in mind? Now my mother on the other hand is going to place new flowers on her mom's headstone which is kind of out of town. She only lost her mom like 9 months ago and she feels this is something she needs to do. Eventhough my grandmother wasn't a veteran, my mom uses this holiday to honor her memory. Which is what should be done, I think. That's what they had in mind.

So, while I sit on my deck this weekend and enjoy the company of my friends and family and my sweet golden corn on the cob, I will think about my MaMa and my PaPa and what their lives meant to me. And how my life wouldn't be possible if it hadn't been for theirs. Their memories will always be a part of me. To me, that's what memorial day is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment